I typically like to research a topic until I feel like I have a good grasp of the subject before I post about it. I don't think I'll reach that level when it comes to data centers, so I'm just going to start by sharing some key info and sources I have found so far.
My personal focus has been on the data center situation in Coweta County, Georgia, but much of the info I am finding applies to data centers in general.
(America's Plan)
We have seen first hand how once we learn that a data center is being proposed, it already feels like a done deal. This article explains it really well.
In most communities where a large data center has been built, neighbors report the same experience: they had no idea the facility was coming until construction equipment arrived, or until they received a postcard about a zoning hearing with a two-week notice period. By that point, the land had been purchased, the financing was in place, and the developer had already met with local economic development officials. The formal public process was, in many cases, a formality.
Definitely, read this entire article!!!
If you live in Coweta County, you will want to read the info all over this site, but there is useful information for everyone worried about data centers throughout the site.
On the main page, scroll down to CONSTRUCTION & RURAL IMPACTS and then keep reading. The impacts are quite disturbing.
Their RESOURCE PAGE is amazing. It links to numerous informative articles and provides contacts as well. Additionally towards the bottom of the page is a section that begins with "REZONE 24-019 Atlas Development, LLC - Information from Coweta County Public Notices:". It's noteworthy that the rezoning petition is “paused” while the DRI is being completed.
Meanwhile, Coweta residents looking to stop this madness should sign the petition to get the data center issue on a ballot so citizens can vote on it! CLICK HERE for the signing locations. Note, there are two sections - the first section shows places you can go any day. The second section lists pop-up locations along with the dates and times a signing table will be set up. You will need to provide ID and they will verify you are a registered Coweta voter. The process is quite fast. Be sure to thank the volunteer!
One more thing... Trump's Executive Order Pertaining to Data Centers
Check out this executive order from July of 2025 - Accelerating Federal Permitting of Data Center Infrastructure. I suspect there is something for the administration to gain by having more data centers.
Reminder - Executive orders "have the force of law, much like regulations issued by federal agencies... Executive orders are not legislation; they require no approval from Congress, and Congress cannot simply overturn them. Congress may pass legislation that might make it difficult, or even impossible, to carry out the order, such as removing funding. Only a sitting U.S. President may overturn an existing executive order by issuing another executive order to that effect." See more on the American Bar Association webpage.
This topic is way too broad for one post.
There's soooo much more to this issue. Hopefully, I will add more info in future posts. The biggest hurdle for me personally is just how depressing it all feels as I learn more. Orwell's novels were not meant to be how-to handbooks.
WHO TO CONTACT - Coweta County Residents
Personal Opinion - The recent Project Sail vote passed with a 3-2 split. I noticed something very interesting about the vote split (as shown below). The commissioners who are up for re-election this year voted AGAINST the data center. The commissioners not up for re-election til 2028 voted FOR the data center. Since 3 were not up for re-election this year, they could allow the other two to come out against it so the public might not turn against them.
It reminds me of how Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski would often vote against Republican things, but only when it was a sure thing that it would pass. Often they would express concern. Looking at their voting records, you could also see that sometimes they would take turns if the vote was too close for both of them to oppose their party.
With that in mind, I don't trust ANY of these commissioners, no matter what they say publicly.
It reminds me of how Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski would often vote against Republican things, but only when it was a sure thing that it would pass. Often they would express concern. Looking at their voting records, you could also see that sometimes they would take turns if the vote was too close for both of them to oppose their party.
With that in mind, I don't trust ANY of these commissioners, no matter what they say publicly.
These commissioners Voted FOR the Project Sail Data Center:
Commissioner Al Smith made the motion to approve the rezoning, Commissioner Jeff Fisher seconded it, and Commissioner John Reidelbach cast the deciding vote. Chairman Bill McKenzie and Commissioner Bob Blackburn voted against the project.
Jeff Fisher, District 1 Commissioner
Phone: 678-621-9409 or (678) 340-6231 - different numbers are shown on different web pages.
jfisher@coweta.ga.us
Serving 1st Term - January 1, 2025, to December 31, 2028
John Reidelbach - District 4 Commissioner
Phone: 943-242-2234 or (404) 664-9060 - different numbers are shown on different web pages.
jreidelbach@coweta.ga.us
Serving 2nd Term - January 1, 2025, to December 31, 2028
Al Smith - District 5 Commissioner
Phone: 404-409-7557
alsmith@coweta.ga.us
Serving 5th Term - January 1, 2025, to December 31, 2028
These commissioners Voted AGAINST the Project Sail Data Center:
Bill McKenzie, District 2 Commissioner
Phone: 770-780-3962
bpmckenzie@coweta.ga.us
Serving 1st Term - January 1, 2023, to December 31, 2026
Bob Blackburn, District 3 Commissioner
Phone: 404-630-4351
bblackburn@coweta.ga.us
Serving 5th Term - January 1, 2023, to December 31, 2026